Google Chromebook Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Acer version, and my volume buttons don't work about 90% of the time. No matter what button I press (mute, up, down) it just says that I am muting it. However, the other 10% of the time, usually when I turn it on for the first time for a few days, the volume works, however it works basically like a screen reader. Everything I type, click on, mouse over, it read out loud to me. It essentially makes my speakers completely useless because whether it has or does not have volume, I can't use it. I've tried looking for a way to turn off the screen reader and can't seem to find anything, nor have I been able to find anyone with the same mute/volume control problem. Anyone with any suggestions?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
264 Posts
I've had the volume buttons go unresponsive on my Series 5, but only very occasionally - once or twice since I got it. Fixed by a reboot.

Sounds like (sorry :)) you may have a hardware problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
That sounds like an accessibility-type function. Do you perhaps have the Accessibility feature turned on in in your System Settings? Just guessing based on experience with other systems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was accessibility apparently. Not sure how it got turned on, as it had been working properly before about 2 weeks ago. Anyways, thanks a ton
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
there's 2 things you can do:
1. go to settings keyboard and disable treat top-key row as functions
2. there is sometimes a glitch on some chromebooks where if you've been wearing headphones you need to unplug them then replug them to start it working.

if none of this is successful reboot or restart your computer.
if this doesn't work try doing
1. Sign out of your account by clicking open the menu in the bottom-right corner of the screen and clicking "Sign Out."
How to reset Chromebook
Click the "Sign out" button. Devon Delfino/Business Insider

2. Press "Ctrl" "Alt" "Shift" and "R" on your keyboard, and then select "Restart" — a box will appear on the screen.
3. Select "Powerwash" and then "Continue."
4. Follow the prompts and sign back into your account, then follow the on-screen instructions to set up your Chromebook again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
there's 2 things you can do:
1. go to settings keyboard and disable treat top-key row as functions
2. there is sometimes a glitch on some chromebooks where if you've been wearing headphones you need to unplug them then replug them to start it working.

if none of this is successful reboot or restart your computer.
if this doesn't work try doing
1. Sign out of your account by clicking open the menu in the bottom-right corner of the screen and clicking "Sign Out."
How to reset Chromebook
Click the "Sign out" button. Devon Delfino/Business Insider

2. Press "Ctrl" "Alt" "Shift" and "R" on your keyboard, and then select "Restart" — a box will appear on the screen.
3. Select "Powerwash" and then "Continue."
4. Follow the prompts and sign back into your account, then follow the on-screen instructions to set up your Chromebook again.
this will do a factory reset
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top