Google Chromebook Forums banner
81 - 100 of 209 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Questions and hopefully Answers

I am a Google Nut, as my daughters tell me. I have helped set up my daughters business fully on Google, from Website to Email to Documents and Apps, there has not been much we have not been able to do through Google. For this reason, I am here with a lot of questions before investing in the new Chromebooks for our team.

Here are a few questions.

1 Printing to legacy network computers (no print server and no pc connection)
2 Audio ability with USB Headphones and USB Speakers for presentations
3 Connectivity to VGA Projectors and Monitors when needed
4 Quantity and especially Quality of applications that are running in the Apps section.
5 Web development and backup of sensitive data from Cloud
6 Chrome OS ability to run on existing Laptops and Netbooks
7 Main Issue for me is printing at this point.

I am a consultant with 20 plus years as an independent Information Systems and Business Redesign Consultant. I am now disabled and as I said above, have helped my daughters set up a business that is growing slowly but growing.

JAlbert :rolleyes:

· Premium Member
264 Posts
I am a Google Nut, as my daughters tell me. I have helped set up my daughters business fully on Google, from Website to Email to Documents and Apps, there has not been much we have not been able to do through Google. For this reason, I am here with a lot of questions before investing in the new Chromebooks for our team.

Here are a few questions.

1 Printing to legacy network computers (no print server and no pc connection)
2 Audio ability with USB Headphones and USB Speakers for presentations
3 Connectivity to VGA Projectors and Monitors when needed
4 Quantity and especially Quality of applications that are running in the Apps section.
5 Web development and backup of sensitive data from Cloud
6 Chrome OS ability to run on existing Laptops and Netbooks
7 Main Issue for me is printing at this point.

I am a consultant with 20 plus years as an independent Information Systems and Business Redesign Consultant. I am now disabled and as I said above, have helped my daughters set up a business that is growing slowly but growing.

JAlbert :rolleyes:
1. Chromebooks use Google Cloud print, which means you need a mac or windows PC with chrome browser installed that is connected to your legacy printer (USB, wifi or network). Enable the 'cloud print' feature within Chrome on that computer and you should be good to go. See here for more: Introduction - Google Cloud Print - Google Code

2. There is a headphone jack, but I'm not sure about USB speakers. I'll test this when my CB finally gets delivered.

3. Samsung Series 5 has a mini connector and VGA dongle which can do this, but there is no extended display support (yet).

4. Things are steadily getting better in this regard, but there is already a solution for most things. There are a few good utilities that do the job of things like notepad and calculator. Office apps have Google Docs. Make a list of the software you use, and then have a look around the Chrome Web Store and online generally. If you can't find a decent online version (or if you discover something cool and unusual!) post up here in the apps forum and we'll try to help out :). One gotcha that people can miss is that chromebooks don't support Java - so web applications like gotomeeting and screenr won't work.

5. Cloud storage is generally resilient, and services like dropbox can make it easy to sync online files with a PC. For web development, SourceKit will sync with Dropbox, which can be an effective way to edit code files in a browser. For sensitive data be careful about which online apps you use - most have decent privacy features, but test these with less sensitive material first and check online to research a provider's reputation with other users. Whatever online app you choose to trust with sensitive data, be sure that you've learned how their privacy and security controls work - the provider may be secure but that counts for little if you don't tick the right options and accidentally publish your data.

6. It can be done, but you don't get the secure booting that comes with a chromebook.

7. See 1 :)

Hope this helps!

· Registered
6 Posts
Acer Chromebook user

Hello, I've got the low-end model from Acer on the way. I've been very impressed with the apps that I can get through the Google WebStore. I am an old-head web developer (started on Mosaic and Netscape Navigator) and find the features in HTML5 amazing.

Is anyone using their Chromebook to do development? Does it come with any development tools? Or is everything cloud-based? I've heard that there is a shell to ssh/sftp, but don't know what else it might have natively.

· Registered
7 Posts
New beta model cr48?

just got mine today, a little later than most of the people on the forum, but mine could be a little different. Mine has a VGA out port on it like most of my friends have, but were all of them this way? USB and an Audio out. from poking around in terminal mode, i see it has bluetooth as well but it doesnt seem to be activated. this is still the plain unmarked notebook, no manufacture stickers or part numbers. but a card included said it was Intel inside.

from the about screen:
Google Chrome 13.0.782.43
Chrome OS 587.48 (Official Build) beta-channel x86-mario
Firmware Mario.03.60.1120.0038G5.0018d

This mean anything to you guys?

· Registered
1 Posts
Welcome all new members! ChromebookForums is soon to become the #1 largest Google Chromebook Forums, and we are supported by some of the top Google and Android enthusiasts! We are super-excited to be here for you guys, and to launch this site for the Chromebook.

At first we see only three Chromebook models: the old CR48, the Acer Chromebook HD, and the Samsung Chromebook but we expect within 6-12 months that there will be a plethora of new models from various manufacturers. We will be creating unique forum sections for each new model that comes out.

If you have any suggestions for new forum sections, please feel free to PM me with your suggestions!

Please introduce yourself, let us know who you are, where you are from, what kind of computer you currently have, and where your interest in the Chromebooks stands.

Welcome everyone!

ChromebookForum.com Admin
Howdy all from a Texas native now living in Chicago Southland!

I'm looking for a tablet notebook with a swivel screen that allows you to write with a stylus on the screen to capture electronic signatures. When I was in the pharma business, we had Lenovo ThinkPads with this functionality but I'm looking for Chromebook version - one with WiFi, CD drive (external USB support is fine) and at least (4) USB ports.

Got a suggestion?

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the welcome...I started using Google Chrome after IE became too cumbersome to bother with, and was so pleased I delved further to find out more about Chrome OS...I'm pretty sure it will be my next big ticket gift to self. I'm such a novice I've surely got lots of questions that could be construed as stupid...so hope I find some indulgent answers here.

· Registered
3 Posts
"One gotcha that people can miss is that chromebooks don't support Java"

stupid question #1... Don't most games in Facebook require Java? I know Google Chrome doesn't like MSN games, but I don't have any trouble using GC browser for Facebook games...

· Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I am an IT Manager and own a small computer repair business on the side. I own 2 Windows 7 laptops, I also have an old iMac that I use just so I can work with people who have Mac issues. I will acquire a Chromebook at some point so I can work on Chromebook issues and recommend them if I see fit. Ideally in my household I will replace the laptops with a Chromebook for internet and a Windows 7 Desktop machine for games and high end processing.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello, folks, I just got a Chromebook and it was more than a little impulsive. in fact, I had to post "why can't I find Outlook Express" on Facebook before I found out there will be no windows anything. oh! well, OK.

so I'm looking for answers or even enough of an understanding to ask questions!

Jackie

· Registered
9 Posts
hi

just call me Kat or Kathy. used pc since '96. now hubby (handycapped) and i both have an ipad2. love them for the most part. i got the acer today and the samsong is coming on monday. will decide after monday which i will keep and which i will give to hubby. We have lived in the mt's of north ga since the summer of '97. Before that we lived 7 years in butler pa and i lived 33 years in Westmoreland county [sw pa, near pittsburgh] in West Newton,Pa, graduating in 1974 from West Newton-Yough HS [Kathy Wagoner then]. My husband was a Jr. high/middle teacher at Elizabeth Forward school district. love a forum like this as i like/need to learn about what i am using and sharing what I know.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm nearly new...

Hi all,

i am really think about getting a Chromebook but have some doubt. I can't find any one who knows much about them to ask my concerning questions. If any one is up for an online chat please PM me or drop me an email.

My main questions are regarding using docs. I want to use the Chromebook for uni, but don't know if I could work on a doc off line?

Much of our resources from uni and posted online on a thing called 'Moodle' or study-zone. I don't know if I could save these to google docs like I save them to a folder on my PC.

As you can probably tell, my computer knowledge is very limited-maybe these questions all have simple answers?

Nice to say hi any way.

Rob :)

· Registered
10 Posts
I am a huge Chrome Geek and have loved the browser. For some reason I didn't get into the Cr-48 beta program early enough and never was picked as a beta-tester.

A friend let me use his Cr-48 over a long weekend last winter and I fell in love with it and was very sad when i had to give it back.

When the Chromebooks finally came out I was very disappointed that they were so pricey. I had expected them to be at the <$300 level and probably was comparing apples to oranges when I looked at Windows netbooks selling at that level because those were close-outs and discontinued models selling online. I eventually hoped that the price would drop with newer models but they seem to be slow in coming. In the end I caved and bought the Acer as it was a little cheaper.

So far I really like it other than the keyboard which isn't up to the standards I'm used to (Lenovo Thinkpad) Maybe someday Lenovo will make a Chromebook :-D

I don't hardly miss my Windows laptop at all other than there not being a decent FreeCell program on the Chromebook. All the ones in the Chrome Store are horrible and don't have click-to-move functionality. I guess I'll just play Freecell on my phone from now on...

Still trying to figure out how to put a picture in my profile. Maybe I need a minimum number of posts?

81 - 100 of 209 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.