Google Chromebook Forums banner
101 - 120 of 209 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Figured I would stop by and introduce myself. I am here to get information on the chromebook, but I am looking at the option from Samsung that is not the 550.

I saw a forum for the Samsung 5 series and the Acer option. Is there a sub forum for the Samsung version that is basically like a tablet with a keyboard?

· Registered
3 Posts
New Acer Chromebook Owner

I had everything Apple except my Cell has always been Android. Then I got an Iphone and everything seemed the same. I then had a mix of apple and android and even windows 8 and today Im happy to say I am All Google and Android including my Samsung SIII my Vizio Co-Star and my Acer Chromebook which Im learning is great but I need help learning about apps learning how to print and things like that. I know it can't completely replace a Laptop but so far for what I need it for it does what I need and looks great. Thanks everyone and if you could help with any app, games, or how to print questions and answers Id appriciate it.

· Registered
6 Posts
Just picked up my Chromebook from Best Buy last night. Trying to figure it out. So far, I'm really impressed with it. I'll be looking around here and using the forums for asking questions when the need arises. Thanks!

· Registered
5 Posts
I've been in IT since 1988. I've been predominately a Windows person, with some Mac thrown in on occasion. My first Apple product was a 2nd Gen iPod Touch, which I just recently upgraded to a refurb 4th Gen, and I just recently took delivery of a ZeePad tablet that I'm learning my way around.
I've been interested in Google for a LONG time, waited patiently for my invite years ago for GMail. I use my Google account for A LOT of things in my life. Really like the functionality of Google Voice and all the various apps Google has expanded to include.

· Registered
1 Posts
I am considering a CB to replace my aging PC running XP. I need spreadsheet and word processing apps for old projects. Are they available for CB's. (CB=chromebook)

I have been using Google Chrome under XP and am impressed.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

· Registered
1 Posts
Greetings everybody

Hi, I'm John and I recently got into Chrome quite accidentally! I bid on a CR48 on eBay a few weeks ago as it looked decent and was cheap, soooo cheap!

It arrived in one piece and worked after a fashion once I'd used a downloaded recovery image on it but after a few days it died and try as I might I couldn't get it to accept a bios flash with InsydeH2O. Yup, it had bricked itself without help from me.:(

Various thoughts then went through my largely vacant mind regarding the future of the machine - its 12.1" display was perfect and could be sold on, the battery although the original was showing 100& capacity and was capable of providing many, many hours of service per charge, the SSD was good and again could be sold and so it went, indeed the only thing wrong was the death of its o/e bios so did I sell it in bits?
No. I bought another a fortnight later, this time even cheaper.:D This second machine had already been set up with InsydeH2O so all I had to do to make it work was to download the recovery image to a pendrive, let that do its thing and off it went.
CR-48 #2 also turned out to have a perfect battery, screen and even the SSD ribbon cable was connected tightly. One downside to number two was that the hinges were all but totalled so I simply removed the MoBo and all of the other known, working parts into the good case of number one. Job done!

Not content with having built one good Mario from two with faults, I wondered what would happen if I tried to install the Chrome recovery image on my trusty, 15.6" Dell laptop whose HDD I'd just finished wiping with a view to installing a fresh copy of my preferred Ubuntu 12.04. The answer to that is that I now have possibly the only dual booting Dell Chromebook in the village, if not the entire world 'cos someone else must have done this too.

And here she is:

And with that, I'm away to read lots of other posts.

Cheers,

John (aged 48 and 1/2;))

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone. I am the weakest link. As a matter of fact, I may even be in the wrong place.

For instance, when I closed the lid on an open webpage, did it turn off the conn to the way-too-expensive Verizon 4G LTE hotspot I bought without fully understanding why, or even, it? Or am I racking up crazy data charges overnight? (Stuff like that.)

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Kids!

I'm Melissa. I live in a small town in South Carolina that offers little in the way of culture or quality education or.. fun. As a result, I've grown up to be very much an internet aficionado. The chromebook seemed like a perfect fit for me. I use the web, almost exclusively, for leisure and recreation (rather than for productivity) and, beyond that, I'm not too proud to admit that I'm a "file hoarder". Every picture download, screen shots, clip of old emails, etc really stack up and bog down.. I'm pure **** on a computer's memory and notoriously bad about putting off critical updates. The chromebook, I convinced myself, was the holy grail. No "my documents" or "my pictures" or "my music" or this folder that repeats every file in that folder, and so on and so forth, ad infinitum. Also, stands to reason that if chrome is the OS, it will never be obsolete.. it will always be the current version. I do love the chromebook but GRRRR!!! I'm forever running into little problems.. so, I'm hoping there are perfectly acceptable solutions to all of them and that I'll find them here.. :confused::D

· Registered
5 Posts
Got my first Chromebook!

But is it the one I want? I posted that question in another thread, but wanted to officially introduce myself.

Decided to get a Chromebook when I cracked the screen on my Nexus 7, (2012). Sad, sad day. Chromebook seems like a great platform, albeit not quite as portable as the tablet, its much more useful, given my Galaxy S4 performs nearly all the same functions as the Nexus, other than phone people. And hopefully I won't break it.

Having a great time!

Walter

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
new chromebook user :/ and seriously need help, can I stream films online? when I try it says 'this file type is not supported, please visit chrome app store to find an app that can open this type of file'
HELP PLEASE

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, Chromebook newbie here. Decided to get one so I can get online without kicking my better half off the laptop. Thought it would work well as our travel computer, using our hotspot. Really like it so far.

· Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I bought my Acer C710-2856 two weeks ago after watching Chromebooks develop over the last year or so, but I'm thinking it would have been nice if the Haswells were already out. I tried an EEE-Pc a few years ago, but didn't like that at all. I'm very impressed with the Acer's performance though.
I bought the base 2gb model, and I'm watching RAM prices to eventually upgrade to at least 8gb because I usually have many tabs open, and I like my apps to move quickly.
I started computing in 1980 with a Timex/Sinclair 1000, moved to a Commodore 64, Commodore 128, and many, many Windows machines starting with version 3.1 and ending with a Core I5 gaming desktop I built in February 2012 with Win 7 64 bit, and an Acer Aspire 2551 17" laptop with Win 7 64 bit that I picked up used.
I've tinkered a good bit with Linux, and I'm looking to find a decent used laptop in order to try out and play with different distros.
I'm enjoying my C7 as a surf-while-watching-tv unit, and I'm always looking for new offline-capable apps to give me more capability away from my Windows machines.
Motivation behind my progression here is the fact that I enjoy writing short stories, and the CB is great when spontaneous ideas come.

· Registered
7 Posts
I missed the window for editing my post, so here's an addendum:
I picked up a Coby MID7122 November of 2011, rooted it, learned the ins and outs of Android, and though I like the tablet format for reading, I miss a keyboard for everything else. I finally gave it to my wife, who loves it and uses it all the time, and until I got my C7 I was using my rooted LG smartphone for all my mobile internet play.

101 - 120 of 209 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.