Google Chromebook Forums banner
141 - 160 of 209 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Well done bullybeef... I've been delighted with mine and I'm sure you and your wife will agree with me as you get more proficient with your machines...

It takes a bit of time, not only to become accustomed to the way things work, but remembering all the right moves, without giving it a second thought....

Robbie....

·
Registered
8 Posts
You're right, Robbie - it's just a question of persisting with it, like riding a bike!
...and after a while it becomes automatic - whatever it is.

Must say that the Chrome OS user interface is -very- well thought out, in my view.
Cannot abide some of the weirdness currently going around - Ubuntu Unity was a big disappointment, and as for Win8, words fail me! ;)

·
Premium Member
354 Posts

I must say, I've been surprised by the way they've laid out the CB keyboard, as though they haven't missed a trick... Even like the way they've got around screen shots (do lots of those) although I think the win 7 - 8 and 8.1 - snipping tool is by far the best anyone could hope for...

I've more or less got my head around 8.1, although I still have the odd problem with resolution and screen settings...

Never tried Ubuntu, but I've seldom come across harsh criticism about that OS

Anyway, enjoy the CB experience and if you're ever stuck (although I doubt that 100%) pop on here and drop me a line or two...

Kindest regards...

Robbie....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi!

Hi everyone.

I'm Tim and I'm a recovering Windows user. I'm on my second Chromebook - the first was the Samsung Series 3. My current is the Acer C720. I've also added an HP Chromebox to my desk for the times when I don't need my Win7 PC.

Unfortunately, there are still quite a few programs that don't have Chrome OS equivalents, so I still need a PC, but I'm looking forward to the time when I don't need it.

Hope to hear from you all soon.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Hi de Hi Tim... Welcome to the fold... You're a bit like me, having an array of equipment, all of which has it's useful purpose...

I bought my Acer CB 720, primarily for teaching purposes, but in essence, I love it to death... It's been great fun fining out what's hidden here and there within the structure of this wonderland of quirkiness... I have got the main principles at my fingertips now, so I don't have to spend quite so much time delving here, there and everywhere, in case I'm faced with the odd question...

Have a good day pal, and do keep popping by for a chat....

Robbie....

·
Premium Member
354 Posts

Hi again Tim...

It's not really a classroom setup... Let me explain...

I live in a small community, referred to as 'Sheltered Housing' that provided safe and warden controlled accommodation for 40 or more elderly people...
When I moved in here, because of my interest in the subject, I set up an IT room and started giving one to one lessons on computers, laptops and now (for instance) the Chromebook... I actually bought mine, because one elderly person asked me if I could teach them to use one... And I'm mighty glad I did... It's been an interesting journey - to say the least...

I do use it for my own purposes, although I'm fortunate enough to have quite a range of equipment at my disposal, down to my (as I said earlier) deep interest in the subject... Didn't start using computer gear until I was sixty five and now, having just celebraited my eightieth birthday, I just can't set it all to one side.... Smile...

Rather a longish reply, but it will give you a full and clear picture of where I'm coming from and the direcion in which I'm heading... It's a good job we haven't got to take everything with us when we finally go - isn't it....

I'd need a good sized van for my bits and pieces and a double depth hole in the ground... lol....

Leaving it there for now... Please come back to me if I can be of any further assistance..

Regards...

Robbie....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings all.
I just purchased an ASUS Chromebox, it should arrive Sunday (Love Amazon Prime!)
I was looking for a forum and I guess this is it.
I have YEARS of experience with Ubuntu and run it on the home machine. I like the simplicity and form factor of the Chromebox, the GUI is very similar to my Linux box.
Most of my home use of the computer is web based, Flash games and Google Docs, so this should cover it. If I want more, I have laptops and the computer at work. If I don't like it as the main machine, I will put it on the projector as a media server.
Added plus, I can throw it in my bag for travel, the places I stay have HDMI compatable TVs.
I hope it isn't missing anything important (like Xterm, SSH, Xserver client, mounting network drives, etc) But I should be able to work around most of these things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Toshiba Chromebook freezes and sends me back to sign in

I have a Toshiba CB35-A3120 that continues to freeze and send me back to sign in. I have contacted Google support and done everything suggested, powerwash, sign in as guest, and established new Gmail account with no fixes to the Chromebook freezing and sending back to sign in.
Any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Hi Dusty...

Sorry I can't be of much help with your problem... I've no experience with that model...
My only thoughts are, that it may be something to do with the memory side of things... Most computers tend to slow down and/or freeze when the memory gets low...
Other than that, have you been in touch with the Toshiba techies???

Best I can offer...

Robbie....

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Normally, you would look in the settings and if you had used all your memory storage (i.e. the remaining memory was showing a low reading) you would need to transfer some items to a memory stick, or simply delete the offending material..

That's the best I can come up with, sorry if it's not that helpful...

Robbie....

·
Registered
7 Posts
**** All -

New to the forum as of yesterday. I finally pulled the trigger on my next laptop, a Toshiba Chromebook 2 with full HD. It should be here within the next week and I can't wait to play.

Of course, I've researched the heck out of it (analyst by nature and by trade) and hope to have a very enjoyable experience with it. I've pretty much been a PC my entire computing career but I love the simplicity of the chromebook. However... I haven't seen many (any for that matter) threads related to the Toshiba models. Did I miss something???

~J

·
Registered
7 Posts
Newbie on a chromebook

Thanks for a chromebook forum! Maybe I can get a definitive reply on a very recent issue I have encountered with my HP Chromebook 14. Just last week my log in screen began asking for both my e-mail address and password. I have not had this problem since I bought this chromebook last summer. I have tried logging out and logging back in to no avail. Should I opt out and do a factory reset and possibly loose all bookmarks and paswords? Thanks

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I've no experience with HP Chromebook, but with the Acer c720, on odd occasions, when things weren't quite right, I've managed to update the machine, which has helped...

Don't know if that's any help to you, but I'd certainly give it a go before restoration...

Robbie....

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
In the settings, if you see a tab called 'help', click on that... I found my update tab behind that... The first one took close to 20 minutes...

Robbie....

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Click and open settings... At the top of the page, it should say: 'About the chrome OS' in blue...

Click on that, and it should give you the option to check for updates... It may, (or may not) say that your CB is already up to date... But it's worth a look...

Robbie....

141 - 160 of 209 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.