Google Chromebook Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once the Samsung and Acer Google Chromebooks come out what happens to the CR-48? Are the doomed to become obsolete or can they easily be upgraded?

·
Registered
197 Posts
They're still fully functional, and will continue receiving firmware updates just like the newer models. Like Google says, they should keep getting better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, even though they are beta, or were, they were still made so that they could adopt the changes that would be birthed with the Google Chromebook.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My friend has a cr48

and from what he told me, the agreement he had to sign off on requested at least 2 years of feedback, so I would assume that they will be fully functional and get software updates for at least that amount of time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
People have been selling them on eBay since the Pilot program started. I have been checking out the eBay auctions for about the last 6 - 8 weeks and I have seen them sell from as low as $200 to as high as $450 ( I think that one had Windows 7 installed on it).

·
Banned
109 Posts
Maybe I am missing something here but....Why would people who were so lucky and privileged as to be chosen to help test (for Google, mind you) the Cr-48 (for free, mind you), turn around and place their Cr-48 up for auction on eBay??? Is it just me, or is that completely rude, ignorant, and ungrateful??? I would have been thrilled beyond belief to partake in such an honor (a making in history, mind you) and to hear that people are actually selling their Cr-48's on eBay kinda gets under my skin. And what about the 2 years of feedback they signed off to give (according to Cyclesoflife)???

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Cr-48 might be cheaper than the newer books, but it has half the CPU horsepower. Given the 'cool factor' of them being the prototype and their very limited availability, I doubt they will be a cost effective choice for regular use.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Google mentioned at IO in an interview that they will support CR-48 for the time being...I don't know how long though. I am searching for the article.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is something cool about hanging on to the original... When ChromeBook has caught on, you can say "I helped do that! Google sent it to me, and let me keep it!"

·
Registered
47 Posts
If I had one, I sure wouldn't be selling it! I agree with Mindy, though... there is something wrong with people agreeing to give feedback for two years and then turning around and selling the unit after only a few weeks, or months.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts