Google Chromebook Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing some research for buying a new Chromebook. I see Chromebook with Intel, AMD and MTK processors. I think Intel and AMD processors are x86 architecture and MTK processors are ARM. When I do a quick search on the processor, for example Intel N4000, it is classified as Mobile and does not say if it is x86 or ARM. Perhaps I did not do a good detail search. My understanding is Chrome OS will run on both x86 and ARM processors and general users will probably never notice the difference. However what I like to know is if one day I want to make the Chromebook into Windows, does the x86 processor make it possible while the ARM processor may not ? or I should forget about this flexibility because the hardware (Including BIOs) will not allow me to do the change ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had written a long note which got lost :) let me try again

There are three different things when comparing CPU
1) Manufacturer - intel/amd/mtk (mtk/arm is better for battery performance BTW)
2) CPU type - celeron, core, pentum (celeron gives better battery performance within intel)
3) Generation - newer generations of the CPUs perform faster

I spent a long time looking a CPU benchmark data, memory size, storage, price and battery life to create this site [
The 2022 Chromebook Guide - Best devices ranked] which rates most of the available Chromebooks in the market today. I hope it helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts