Google Chromebook Forums banner

Will the 3G Model be Unlocked?

13K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Jason 
Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. I frequently visit America so even if it never gets 3G support in Canada the 100MB/month for free would be a nice bonus for when I go out of country.
100MB won't last more than a couple days of use. This isn't a smartphone that loads mobile-friendly pages. Each time you load a large web site, you consume 1 - 2MB of data, sometimes more. Verizon does sell $10 all-you-can-eat daily pass for Chromebook 3G, or you can pay $20 for 1G per month, no contract required.

It's enough to do casual browsing and access an instant messenger though.

I will be getting my Chromebook on the 26th, so when I get it I'll throw my Fido SIM in it and see what happens. I'll post results.
I don't know about that. I was very careful about not using it, and still ran out of 100MB today, a couple of days short of my first month. Granted, one time I did not notice that it did not switch to Wi-Fi when I was home (rather, it was connected to both, but using 3G ahead of Wi-Fi - big thumbs down) and I started playing some YouTube video. That alone killed like 15MB of it. But the rest was spent on occasional, very quick access to email or news.

Will keep it disabled unless absolutely needed next month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.