Google Chromebook Forums banner

Will the 3G Model be Unlocked?

13K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Jason 
#1 ·
I'm going to be purchasing a Samsung Chromebook within the next few days and I'm just wondering if the 3G model will be unlocked. I currently live in Canada and I'm wondering whether or not my Fido SIM card will work in it. Nobody at Best Buy seems to know anything so I'm hoping the Chromebook forums will be able to help me out.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
With the CR-48 it has a GSM modem but it doesn't work on the Stable or Beta Channel..It seems Google paired up with Verizon for this devices...It has a GSM..but it is going to be a DEV channel unlock...

Hope I am wrong though!! Ofcourse when it launches in Canada..it may just work with all though since you don't have EDVO..
I'm going to be getting one from America but if it's locked to Verizon I'll just get the wifi model.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I isn't really "locked" the OS doesn't support GSM yet. I have a feeling once they launch up there and in Europe...Chrome OS will support it. The actually modem isn't hard locked.
Ah okay, I see what you mean. I'm currently on the same frequency as AT&T right now. Would you recommend spending the extra money to get the 3G model making the assumption that it will receive an update for GSM?

Discussion starter · #9 ·
That is up to the carrier...sometimes they do or others like to flag the account. It would work though but rather or not they want you too...

I say go with the 3G model. It isn't that much more...
Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. I frequently visit America so even if it never gets 3G support in Canada the 100MB/month for free would be a nice bonus for when I go out of country.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
100MB won't last more than a couple days of use. This isn't a smartphone that loads mobile-friendly pages. Each time you load a large web site, you consume 1 - 2MB of data, sometimes more. Verizon does sell $10 all-you-can-eat daily pass for Chromebook 3G, or you can pay $20 for 1G per month, no contract required.
It's enough to do casual browsing and access an instant messenger though.

I will be getting my Chromebook on the 26th, so when I get it I'll throw my Fido SIM in it and see what happens. I'll post results.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Received my Chromebook yesterday. Loving it so far. I put my Fido SIM in it and got no results, but after doing some modifications in developer mode I managed to get it to recognize my SIM. It seems to be functional but it thinks that it's roaming so I'm going to call Fido before I use any data instead of risking $30/MB. If anybody needs the instructions to fully unlock the modem I can post them or send them to you via private message. I'll post after calling Fido and confirming whether or not it will work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.