Google Chromebook Forums banner

Will the 3G Model be Unlocked?

13K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Jason 
#1 ·
I'm going to be purchasing a Samsung Chromebook within the next few days and I'm just wondering if the 3G model will be unlocked. I currently live in Canada and I'm wondering whether or not my Fido SIM card will work in it. Nobody at Best Buy seems to know anything so I'm hoping the Chromebook forums will be able to help me out.

#2 ·
With the CR-48 it has a GSM modem but it doesn't work on the Stable or Beta Channel..It seems Google paired up with Verizon for this devices...It has a GSM..but it is going to be a DEV channel unlock...

Hope I am wrong though!! Ofcourse when it launches in Canada..it may just work with all though since you don't have EDVO..

#18 ·
It tells you right in the status WiFi bar...just click the radio, turn on your Mobile Data. Once it is up (30 secs or so) then it will tell you how many MB's are remaining out of 100.

EDIT: You have to create your account through the wizard on your Chromebook to start.

#17 ·
Received my Chromebook yesterday. Loving it so far. I put my Fido SIM in it and got no results, but after doing some modifications in developer mode I managed to get it to recognize my SIM. It seems to be functional but it thinks that it's roaming so I'm going to call Fido before I use any data instead of risking $30/MB. If anybody needs the instructions to fully unlock the modem I can post them or send them to you via private message. I'll post after calling Fido and confirming whether or not it will work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.